Sweet October, how I adore thee, with orange themed decor, hot cider and more, pumpkins galore, goblins at my door, and the leaves twirling down from the trees. Sweet October, I adore thee.
Oh, October! How I abhor you, with your trick or treat and “smell my feet”, goblins and fears, increased nightmares, endless sweets and scares, such a mixed brew, of what will we do. Oh, October, I abhor you.
I wrote this silly little poem, as I contemplated my love-hate relationship with what I call, the season of scary. Fall and Winter are my favorite times of the year, so truly I do love the months October through February most. But, the month that leads us to November’s Thanksgiving, through December’s saving Birth and onto January’s Hope, seems like a month of darkness comparatively speaking. October is the month when horror is on display in amazing boldness. It seems as if fear is sought after and highly prized, perhaps because the way it is displayed during this season of thrills, and chills is a relatively safe way to face our fears. Well, although I wouldn’t mind fast forwarding through this month’s scarier offerings, I thought that this might be a perfect time for gathering an arsenal of scripture together for the season of scary…and beyond. What better way to face our real life fears than with scripture.
Here are ten Scripture I love for facing my fears with faith.
1. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
2. Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Luke 12:32
3. I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4
4. The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? Psalm 118:6
5. So we can say with confidence, “The LORD is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” Hebrews 13:6
6. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me? Psalm 56:3-4
7. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be at your side and will keep your foot from being snared. Proverbs 3:25-26
8. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
9. Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
10. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
My favorite putting fear in perspective verse, is found in the passage Matthew 10:24-33; Jesus clarifies all of scripture, reminding us of the powerful truth intertwined in God’s sovereignty and graciousness.
“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 10:29:-31
So next time your feeling fearful, or when you feel like you are entering your own season of scary, gather up the goodies of God’s word stored up in your soul and gain freedom from fear through faith.
Do you have a favorite go to scripture for fearful moments?